IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) is an enterprise class backup and archiving application. These types of products protect against data loss and enable the ability to recover data for adherence to industry compliance standards and court orders.
TSM is continuing to improve in its capabilities. As stated in the IBM announcement letter for TSM V7.1: “With the new release of TSM V7.1, A single Tivoli Storage Manager server improves scalability with up to ten times improvement for daily ingest of deduplicated and replicated data over previously published rates, and new reference architectures optimized for data deduplication.”
That announcement letter goes on to say Tivoli Storage Manager for Virtual Environments V7.1 helps to improve backup and recovery management for VMware environments with the following new features:
- VMware full virtual machine instant access and recovery for improved recovery time objectives, including restore verification.
- Item level recovery for Microsoft Exchange Server from a virtual machine backup, database-level recovery for Microsoft SQL Server from a virtual machine backup, and recovery of VMware virtual machines domain controllers hosting Active Directory.
- Data protection for VMware vCloud Director Tenant vApps.
- Additional status and application coverage reporting of VMware environments in the VMware management GUI.
- Simplified installation and configuration consolidates various components into one package and optionally enables configuration of the data mover.
Tivoli Storage Manager can be configured to meet an organization’s specific requirements. For those organizations that have IT staff dedicated to mission-critical enterprise applications and are not heavily trained in the complex discipline of enterprise data backup and recovery, the administration of TSM can be remotely managed by data backup and recovery consultants. Salvus Data Consultants is one of the leading TSM integrators offering a range of backup solutions and services to store & protect your valuable information.
Salvus Data Consultants manages their customer’s TSM environment remotely while the customer maintains total control of their data. For more information about the new release of TSM and its capabilities, contact Salvus Data.
Note: All copyright and registered trademarks mentioned in this post are owned by their respective organizations, such as, but not limited to, IBM and VMware.